Carlos Orozco Romero
Guadalajara, Jalisco, 1896 - Mexico City, 1984
Carlos Orozco Romero was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco in 1896.
The Government of Jalisco granted him a scholarship to travel to Europe in 1921, later he received a scholarship to travel to New York by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation in 1940.
He started making caricatures and portraits at the time of the Bohemian Center, a group formed by independent artists such as David Alfaro Siqueiros, Amado de la Cueva, Jose Guadalupe Zuno, and Javier Guerrero. However where he developed his style and contribution was in his landscapes of very personal seal, and also in his figurative works where he intercalated elements of cubism and surrealism, coupled with the indigenous roots.
In some of his works of cubistoide type, several elements that distinguish this style within its production are appreciated. The character, or the characters, are seen from several points not giving volume but turning them flat. On the other hand, the scenarios in which they develop do not cease to be treated with a very elementary geometry. The multiplicity of some human extremities, as well as the synthesis and absence of others, emphasize the idea of movement, much in the manner of Russian futurism or perhaps under the influence of Marcel Duchamp. The geometry of these paintings are related to that practiced by Carlos Merida in almost all of his work; however, Orozco Romero suggests one of his central concerns: the man led by a force alien to him.
In 1931 he founded, together with Carlos Mérida, the first official Gallery of Modern Art in the lobby of the Palacio de Bellas Artes, which later became the Museo Nacional de Artes Plasticas and Museo de Arte Moderno in Mexico City.
From 1946 to 1961, the following renowned artists were formed in his drawing workshop: Pedro and Rafael Coronel, Gilberto Aceves Navarro, Roberto Donís, Mario Orozco Rivera, Francisco Corzas, Benito Messeguer, Hector Cruz and Arnold Belkin.
Carlos Orozco Romero died in Mexico City in 1984.